Calgary’s Wedding Fair 2019 kicks off this weekend on Sunday, January 13th, 2019! Be parepared to experience everything wedding down at the BMO Centre (Halls A, B & C) from 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM. Fashion shows, venues and vendors galore! All there specifically to meet you and help you plan for your big day.
Unfortunately, we’re off doing a wedding this year, and won’t be able to be there in person, but I still wanted to share some ideas and suggestions to make the experience a good one for the two of you.
Photo credit: Photos With Finesse
1) Wear comfortable clothing and shoes. You have a lot of ground to cover. (And there aren’t always a lot of seats available!) Swap out the heels for sneakers or other comfortable footware.
2) Limit the number of people in your entourage. We’ve all heard the phrase “too many cooks spoil the broth”. The same applies here. If your group gets too large there are too many opinions and too many people to keep from wandering off. Make a social date with your fiance, your mom, or your BFF and keep your group to 2-3 people max. Remember, this is your time to get valuable vendor information. You dodn’t want to feel pressured to hurry up because one member of yoru group is getting bored.
3) Avoid traffic. There will be lots of people lined up at the door. While they stop and start looking at the first few booths. Walk around them and head either to the middle of the space and start there or all the way to the back. The vendors at that end will be more than excited to start talking to you, and the rest of the crowd won’t get there for another 15 – 30 minutes or more, giving you the opportunity to have some great conversations and then work backwards.
4) Bring a few pages of printed lables with all of your contact information. This will save you a ton of time! Having labels with your names, wedding date, phone number and email will make it easy for you to enter the numerous draws and contests available without having to fill out the form by hand each and every time.
5) Know what you’re looking for. Check out the Wedding Fair site before you head down. Who are some of the vendors you want to connect with? What is on your list? A venue? A photographer? there is so much to see that it is easy to get distracted. Having a plan before you head down with help structure the time you have there and help you stay on track.
6) Take the time to talk to vendors. the fact is that everything related to your wedding is going to cost you money. This is not the time for impulse buys! If you are talking with a vendor and you have a good feeling and want to talk with them further, ask to book an appointment with them to meet in a quieter, more productive atmosphere. This will give you a chance AFTER the show to have a real conversation when things aren’t so crazy. (This also ensures that you don’t commit to something, when something better might be just around the corner.)
7) Take pictures of ideas you like. A picture is worth a thousand words. If you see something you like – a backdrop, a tablescape, an invitation, a dress, a centerpiece4 – be sure to snap a pic on your smartphone. This picture can be a great basis for future conversations with florists, designers, and planners that will easily help communicate your vision.
8) Keep track of who you talk to and whether it is worth a follow-up or not. This is similar to #6. Each and every vendor will be handing out information. (Some more aggressively than others.) After a bit it is going to start to blur together. Set up a system in advance to indicate whether this is a vendor that would be worth following up with (like numbering them 1 – 5) or maybe a star for someone you want to talk with and an X for put this business card or postcard in the recycling bin.
While we’re not at the show this year, we are making appointments and booking clients for 2019 dates (and 2020 too)! Just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 1-888-790-6986, ext. 705 and we can set up a time for a phone or in-person consultation. Whether you are looking for Full or Partial Planning, Design & Decor, Day Of Coordination, or a combination of the above, we want to work with you to customize a program that is perfect for you. Contact us now to get started on a wedding planning journey that will be something you can enjoy with the peace of mind that you have someone on your side, ensuring that you have the wedding celebration that you want.