No one can be an expert on everything! In order to best meet the diverse needs of our clients, we've built our team to reflect different strengths and talents.
Each member of the Creative Weddings team is passionate about their craft and their desire for the two of you to have the wedding you've always imagined. They are willing to share their love of all things weddings and want to make sure your wedding experience is all that you envisioned and more. This is an exciting journey that you're on. We want you to enjoy the planning experience and watching your vision come to life!
Cathy MacRae is a Calgary, Banff, Canmore, Lake Lousie and Fernie Wedding Planner. She loves being in the business of making dreams come true! Working with couples to plan the most important day of their life, and being able to share in the experience with them, is the best job ever!
Ten Things To Know About Cathy
1) Cathy taught band and choir to middle school students (grades 5 – 9) for over 15 years with the Calgary Board of Education. She never imagined that one day she would one day become a wedding planner!
2) She has an adorable bichon shih tzu name Jazz (who loves to smell the flowers).
3) She loves to travel and see the world. Her journeys have taking her throughout most of North America, the Caribbean, Central America, and Australia. Europe is next on her list!
4) She has a Bachelor of Music and a Bachelor of Education from time spent at both the University of Victoria and the University of Calgary, as well as completing various certification programs for wedding planning including the Wedding Planners Institute of Canada (WPIC) and the Association of Bridal Consultants.
5) Her favorite sweet treat is chocolate covered strawberries!
6) She loves to read! Her guilty pleasure is reading trashy romance novels, especially while on vacation.
7) With the exception of spending six months living in Costa Rica, she has lived in Calgary since age four.
8) She learned how to salsa dance and merengue (while living in Costa Rica).
9) Her favorite celebrity wedding planner is David Tutera, followed closely by Preston Bailey and Colin Cowie.
10) Cathy loves being in the business of making dreams come true! Working with couples to plan one of the most important days of their life, and being able to share in the experience with them, is the best job ever!
Cathy is proud to be a member of the Association of Bridal Consultants (ABC), the Calgary Bridal Alliance (CBA), Wedding Planners Institute of Canada Alumni (WPIC), and the Community of Wedding Innovators (COWI). She was one of the founding directors for the Wishing Well Wedding and Event Foundation, a charity that gifts weddings to couples where one of the partners is dealing with a life-threatening illness, and continues to be involved as a STAR sponsor. She is also currently works as a business coach for new entrepreneurs in the wedding industry interested in growing their business. Go to Consulting for Creatives to learn more.
Muriel MacRae, Floral Designer and Destination Wedding Specialist
Muriel loves getting to explore her creative juices! Planning weddings and helping couples come up with their wedding flowers allows her to put her talents to the test. She believes that flowers play an integral role in the design and décor of a wedding, and loves to bring the bride's vision to life!
Ten Things To Know About Muriel
1. She loves flowers! Muriel originally started at Creative Weddings as a wedding planner. Following her passion of working with flowers, she has since moved into the position of lead floral designer, giving her the unique perspective of being able to look at the complete picture when working with her clients on designing their wedding day florals.
2. She loves to travel! While she has been throughout most of North America, Central America, the Caribbean, England and Australia, her favorite spot continues to be the island of Kauai (Hawaii). She became a certified travel agent ten years ago.
3. When she has some free time, she enjoys pursuing her hobbies of photography and watercolors.
4. This year marks her 50th wedding anniversary to her husband Don. They have two adult children and a lovable bichon shih tzu puppy named Molly (who thinks she rules the roost!).
5. She spent numerous years as a teacher, working primarily as an elementary school teacher with the Calgary Board of Education, and later as a high school special needs teacher with Rocky View School District.
6. Her son is an opera singer. He currently teaches voice at the University of Arkansas. (Although he sometimes gets rooked into helping with floral deliveries during the summer months.)
7. In January, 2014 she had the opportunity to attend The Floral Experience with international master floral designer Karen Tran. It gave her the firsthand opportunity to design for and the understand the logistics involved to complete spectacular floral arrangements for the luxury wedding industry including floral carpets, canopies and flower walls.
8. Muriel has a B. Ed. from the University of Calgary and a Masters of Arts in Education from San Diego State University with majors in Administration and Special Education. She also took time out from teaching to own a successful fabric store in Calgary.
9. Her favourite all-inclusive resort is Sandals Regency La Toc in St. Lucia. (She can't wait to go back!)
10. One of her favourite things to do when she has spare time is to spend time with her family. This can be in the form of travelling and seeing various parts of the world together or just getting together for Sunday dinner.
Kira Collins, Wedding Planner and Event Designer
Six Things To Know About Kira
1. Although originally born in Canada, Kira brings us design savvy and ideas from “across the pond”. She grew up in Wales before moving back to Canada six years ago.
2. She has an extensive theatre and dance background. These creative elements have come in extremely useful when trying to help her clients have a unique and one-of-kind wedding!
3. Prior to wedding planning, Kira worked as a pharmacist at Foothills Hospital.
4. Kira loves organization and logistics! These traits help make her an ideal wedding planner. She loves to hear your ideas and then she goes to work to figure out a way to make it all happen.
5. Her favorite wedding venue is Mount Stephen Hall at the Fairmont Banff Springs. When the day comes that Kira walks down the aisle, she can't think of another place she would rather get married.
6. Kira is fascinated and captivated by all things weddings! She loves the magic and possibilities associated with weddings, and the individual potential that each wedding has to create an incredible experience for her clients.
Kira is a member of the Association of Bridal Consultants.
In addition, we have a talented pool of assistants and associate planners who help us out with our various weddings and events throughout the year. These are the people we go to first as other opportunities open up. If you have an interest in being part of the Creative Weddings team, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.